@import url('http:// I Passed....but The Bar Exam is Still a Bitch: 4 Weeks Bitch!!!!! (give or take!!!!)
I Passed....but The Bar Exam is Still a Bitch
I took the Bar Exam more than once, several times actually, and lived to tell the tale....retakers take heart...the bar is a bitch...but not impossible...
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
4 Weeks Bitch!!!!! (give or take!!!!)
Oh the joy of essay writing.....at least this time around I have the peace of mind of knowing a little bit of what to expect.....for those of you who may be reading and have never taken an actual bar exam before.....I have a few pieces of advice that may make you breathe a little easier......take it (or leave it) from someone who has done this way too many times....


  1. You absolutely need to be prepared to face the fact that no matter how many questions you do in preparation for the exam (and I am really very certain this is the best way to prepare for this part)....there will be a question you will have no f******g clue about....as long as you are ready for that....and ready to not be freaked out by it...you will be infinitely more prepared....your bar review will talk about the need to "make up" law when you don't know it.....this is where you need that skill, as well as the ability to not think "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god" ....I did about 15 practice essays per topic last time....that is really plenty.....and memorized mad black letter law.....there was still a civ pro question I was unfamiliar with when test time came.....but....because I had done so many practice questions....I was at least familiar enough to make a good guess.....I got a 6/10 on the question and did not even know what I was talking about.....
  2. You do really have to memorize simple rules of law and have them down stone cold...this will give you so much confidence going into the test.....I usually practice my essay questions before and after I memorize my rule statements.....you will be shocked how many more essay questions you can answer after you've memorized your black letter.
  3. Become at peace with the mantra......"You cannot know it all...." funny thing is that the more you embrace that.....the more you will begin to remember.....but be sure you at least know the big stuff...all the elements in a tort.....all the elements in a crime....

So far I've knocked out 4 of my 12 essay subjects...... tomorrow I'm starting on subject number 5....I've been trying to stick to my 33 MBE's per day....the deal is to practice 33 per hour....that's pretty close to test conditions.....and then write up the missed ones.....I'm keeping them on index cards with rings....easier to keep up with....I'm such a freak I know.....

posted by Bar Bitch @ 5:48 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 10:59 PM, June 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you writing out the whole essay or just outlining the essay answers?

     
  • At 7:14 PM, June 28, 2006, Blogger Bar Bitch said…

    Everyone does this a little differently....I tell you the truth...I practice essays as close to test conditions as possible I outline an answer and then write it....except....when its a new question that I'm clueless about it....I go to my notes and get the right rules....it does your confidence no good to freakin flounder (your mind saying...why don't I know this? why? why? why?!!!!) completely and waste time...

    and then I rewrite using the NC model answers....if you rewrite using good models you will be suprised how much of it sticks later....I keep my model answers...they are pretty much rule statements and when you look them over right before memorization time you have a good idea what has been tested in your state recently.....

    if this sounds redundant....it is....but it worked for me last time....

     
  • At 10:05 PM, July 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I failed it three times also - this time we are going to make it to the winners' circle. Good luck and good skill to you.

     
  • At 10:00 AM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Bar Bitch said…

    To Ben....I love people like you...you keep me going...and of course we are going to do it this time...and if we don't...we will just f'n take it again...but my honest feeling is that it will go well....we clearly have experience in our corner.... :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER